The Bundaberg Regional Art Gallery building is rich with history starting out as Customs House in 1902. The Commonwealth Bank took ownership in 1921 and remained as such until 1978. Sometime during the 57 years the bank made modifications, including the installation of two concrete bank vaults armed with heavy combination locks. Today these vaults are used as the Gallery’s collection storage room and The Vault installation space.
When the bank relocated in 1978, the Council of the day purchased the building to house Bundaberg’s first free public library. The seeds for the current gallery were planted by the active and energetic Bundaberg Art Society in the early 1990’s and in 1995 the building became the Bundaberg Art Centre, officially growing into the title of Bundaberg Regional Art Gallery in 2009.
Entry to the Gallery is via Barolin Street, where ramp access is available, just a short walk from the central Post Office. Parking is available on Barolin Street and off-street parking is available across from the Gallery along Quay St.
The Gallery includes 3 exhibition spaces. Gallery One and The Vault are located on the ground floor and are accessible to wheelchairs and prams. Gallery Two is only accessible by five flights of stairs. Exhibitions are continually transformed every 6 to 8 weeks.
1 Barolin St, Bundaberg Central QLD 4670